Nexonia historically has provided multiple authentication methods to allow integration with your NetSuite account. As a best practice, Nexonia and NetSuite recommend using the token-based authentication (TBA) method. This method is the most secure, easiest to maintain and stabilizes the integration processes by reducing timeout and credentials errors.
In this article, we'll provide instructions on getting the authentication details from NetSuite for the token based authentication, and how to update your Nexonia integration to use the token-based authentication method.
Verifying Your NetSuite Account has Token-Based Authentication Enabled
Log in to NetSuite. Navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Access Tokens:
- If you do not have 'Access Tokens', you have to enable this feature in NetSuite.
- Navigate to Setup > Company > Enable Features > SuiteCloud tab.
- Under Manage Authentication, enable Token-Based Authentication.
Creating Your NetSuite Token Authentication Information
Your Nexonia integration will require token authentication details from NetSuite. We recommend having a Notepad app open so you can copy and paste your NetSuite token values which will be needed. The four values you'll be generating in NetSuite are:
- Consumer Key
- Consumer Secret
- Token ID
- Token Secret
1. Assign a User to Token-based Authentication Role
In NetSuite, you'll need to grant a user the token-based authentication role:
- Navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Manage Users.
- Use an existing user (a) or Create a new user account (b). We recommend creating a new, "dummy" user (many create a "Nexonia Integration" user) so there's no chance of them being made inactive and losing the authentication.
- Select an existing user - this will take you to the user's Employee Record, where you'll need to click the Edit button
- Create a user for this, create the Employee record (Lists > Employees > Employees > New) and grant them NetSuite access (in the Employee Record, navigate to the Access tab and check off 'Give Access').
- Once the new employee is created, continue to step 3 while in the new User record.
- At this point you should be able to edit the Employee record - navigate to the Access subtab.
- In the Role field, select the role "Full Access".
- Click Add.
- Click Save to save this update to the Employee/User.
2. Creating Nexonia Access for Token-based Authentication
The next step is to create an Integration record in NetSuite and to generate the authentication information needed to allow Nexonia to integrate.
- In NetSuite, go to Setup > Integration > Integration Management > Manage Integrations > New
- Enter a Name for your application - for example "Nexonia TBA".
- Enter a Description, if desired - for example "Nexonia Token-Based Authentication".
- The application State is "Enabled" by default - leave it as such.
- Enter a Note, if desired.
- Check the Token-based Authentication box on the Authentication subtab.
- Click Save. The confirmation page displays the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret for this application - stay on this page and copy the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret values into a notepad or text app.
- Warning: the only time the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret values will be displayed is on the confirmation page. After you leave this page, these values cannot be retrieved from the system. If you lose or forget these credentials, you will need to start again at step 2.1 to obtain new values.
3. Creating a TBA Token
- In NetSuite navigate to Setup > Users/Roles > Access Tokens > New.
- On the Access Tokens page, click New Access Token.
- On the Access Token page:
- Select the Application Name - choose the Application Name you created in Step 2.2 above.
- Select the User you enabled with Full Access.
- Select the Role - "Full Access".
- The Token Name is already populated by default with a concatenation of Application Name, User, and Role. Enter your own name for this token, if desired.
- Click Save.
- The confirmation page displays the Token ID and Token Secret - stay on this page and copy the Token ID and Token Secret values into a notepad or text app.
- Warning For security reasons, the only time the Token ID and Token Secret values are displayed is on the confirmation page. After you leave this page, these values cannot be retrieved from the system. If you lose or forget these credentials, you will need to create a new token and obtain new values.
You've now successfully generated and copied down the NetSuite token values needed in Nexonia.
4. Updating Nexonia's Integration with NetSuite Token-based Authentication
Now that we have our authentication details, we can log in to Nexonia and update the Configuration Data in our integration.
- Log in to Nexonia, and navigate to NetSuite* > Integration Setup > Configuration Data, and click the Edit Parameters link next to the Integration Type.
- Your Integration Type should already be set to NetSuite.
- Under the General tab:
- Select the Authentication Mode - choose Token Based.
- Account - this should be your NetSuite Account ID.
- Token ID - paste the Token ID you generated above.
- Token Secret - paste the Token Secret you generated above.
- Consumer Key - paste the Consumer Key you generated above.
- Consumer Secret - paste the Consumer Secret you generated above.
- Click OK to save your updated authentication.
As a last step, we recommend running your Configuration Sync to ensure the authentication is working properly.
In Nexonia, navigate to NetSuite > Configuration Sync
Click Synchronize Now to run the configuration synchronization.