Nexonia allows you to split your expense item by any of your selectable dimensions (ie. expense category, department).
1. There are certain expense categories that do not support the split feature (eg. Mileage, Per Diem). In these cases, the Split Item feature referred to here will not be available.
2. When using Nexonia's split feature, there are 2 requirements to successfully proceed:
- An expense must be split 2 or more times
- The total value of all splits must equal the total amount of the expense item
Split Expense Item
1. Within an expense item, enter the total amount in the Amount field, then tap Split.
2. A pop-up will appear asking to split this item between multiple items. Tap Yes. You'll now have the opportunity to add split items.
3. Tap Add item.
4. When splitting an expense item, you will be able to adjust any of the fields that are also available to you when creating an expense item. All editable fields can be split against (e.g. Customer, Project, Category, Billable, Department etc.).
5. Additionally, with each split expense item you have 2 ways of filling in the Amount field.
- Entering the value of the split expense item into the Amount field and then tapping OK.
- Selecting a Percentage value by tapping the % icon to the right of the Amount field. Then selecting a value from the dropdown menu and tapping Done. In this instance, the amount will be auto-calculated.
5. Enter the expense details and then tap Save.
Tip: If splitting evenly tap Save and duplicate at the bottom to create the next split item with the same values.
6. After your first split is completed, repeat steps 3-5 as many times as needed.
7. Once all the splits have been completed, you can link a receipt to your expense.
8. Once completed, tap Save.
Common Examples of Splitting Expenses:
- Office supplies (category) by different departments or cost centers
- Here, you would leave the Category listed as Office Supplies and with each split expense, change the Department or Cost Center field; adjusting your total as required.
- A hotel bill to identify any other expenses included (room service, parking, internet, etc.)
- Here, you would only change the Category with each split expense identifying the hotel cost, how much room service was, etc.
- Airfare (category) when traveling to visit multiple customers (customer)
- Here, you would leave the Category listed as Airfare and with each split expense, change the Customer and/or Project field(s); adjusting your total as required.